Terms and Conditions
Below are the general terms and conditions for our courses. For special offers, please see our website or our Facebook page, or contact us at the school.
1. A ‘course’ is a period of time on a single course type, as described on our website or on our fees sheet – for example, a General English course or an Examination Preparation course.
2. A booking can be either a single course or a combination of courses.
Making a booking
Students must be 16 years old or over to join our adult classes and courses. Students must be 12 years old or older for our closed group junior courses.
3. To become a student at Capital School you need to supply the following:
- A completed enrolment form.
- A copy of your passport*
- A copy of any English certificates from previous courses/educational certificates/transcripts.
- Full payment of your tuition fees / a letter from your sponsor stating that they will be financially responsible for you.
- Payment of accommodation and pick-up service (if required).
- A copy of your visa if you are already in the UK*
*On arrival we will need to see the original copies of these documents
4. A deposit of 50% of the total tuition fees, the £100 enrolment fee (non-refundable), and 2 weeks of accommodation (if applicable), or 25% of a package, is due within 28 days of receipt of our invoice. The balance must be paid at least 4 weeks prior to the start date of your course.
If you are making a booking less than 7 days before the start of your course, you can pay the fees in full on arrival at the school.
Booking and course changes
5. Capital School will try to accommodate any request to change course start dates, but reserves the right to refuse any requests.
6. It is important that you are at the right level to join our examination classes. We use the following information to make sure that you are able to join these courses:
- Any information you send us as part of your application (for example the results of any English language tests)
- The placement test you complete on your first day
- The speaking test you will be given before you join your class
If your placement test results are below the minimum entry requirements for your chosen course, we reserve the right to place you in a different group until you are ready to join the course for which you originally applied.
If your level is too low to join the examination preparation classes, we will place you in General English until you are ready to join your chosen class and you can opt to do some additional individual classes.
7. It is usually possible to extend your booking while you are here. If you are going to stay on the same course, the extra fees you pay will be based on the length of your original booking. For example, if you originally booked 12 weeks on a General English course and extend by 4 weeks, you will pay for these 4 weeks at the 12-week rate. If you change courses, you will be charged the rate for the new course. You must pay full fees in order to guarantee a place.
8. Change of class is strictly subject to availability.
9. Courses will not be extended due to any unauthorised absences, including holidays taken throughout the term.
10. All class changes must be approved by the Academic Director. Class transfers cannot be made mid-week. You can only change class if the Academic Director deems your level to be suitable.
11. Students cannot attend other classes apart from those assigned to them.
12. Students with A0 level of English are usually only accepted in 1-1 classes.
Changing your booking
13. If you change from a more expensive course to a cheaper one with less than 10 working days’ notice, you will not receive a refund or extra lessons in lieu.
14. If you change your course after you have started in the school, you must pay a rebooking fee of £30 for every change. This fee covers administration and your new course materials.
Cancelling or postponing a course
15. If you want to cancel a course, you must do so in writing or by email. You may cancel on the following conditions:
- more than 20 working days’ (Monday–Friday) notice is given before the course begins: enrolment fee will not be refunded
- notice is given 20 working days or less before the course begins: 50% of tuition fees will be retained by the school + enrolment fee will not be refunded
- once the course has started: 100% tuition fees will be retained by the school + enrolment fee will not be refunded
16. If you want to postpone a course, you must do so by emailing or writing to us. You may postpone on the following conditions:
- you must take the postponed course within 3 months of the original starting date
A postponed booking cannot be postponed again. Refunds may take up to 28 days to process. Refunds will be made by bank transfer to your account. Any bank charges must be paid by you.
Please note that it is your responsibility to arrange suitable insurance to avoid losing fees in the event of unavoidable cancellation or postponement.
Note that our terms apply even in the case of unforeseeable ‘force majeure’ events, which may not be covered by insurance.
17. If you cancel your booking because of a visa refusal, we will refund any* fees that you have paid on condition you send us a copy of the visa refusal letter issued by the British Embassy/Consulate. *Please note, however, that the enrolment fee is non-refundable. This must be done at least 5 working days before your course is due to start. If you notify us after this, we reserve the right to charge you in line with our normal cancellation terms. Please note that it is your responsibility to apply for your visa in good time.
Shortening a booking after you have started or decreasing the number of hours you study
18. You can shorten your course after you have started but you will not receive a refund for any weeks lost. If you are a sponsored student, we will only invoice the Embassy for the weeks that you study.
Increasing the number of hours that you study
19. You can increase the number of hours you study providing you pay the difference between the hours you are currently studying and the hours you will increase to.
20. If you are a sponsored student, you must study the number of hours indicated on your sponsor letter. You cannot increase or decrease without written permission from the Embassy and agreement from Capital School.
21. If your course at the school lasts for 12 weeks or more, you may take a holiday on the following conditions:
- Your holiday must consist of whole weeks, must last at least 1 week, and must not normally exceed 4 weeks.
- Total holidays must not normally exceed 20% of your total course.
- You must give us at least 10 working days’ notice of taking a holiday.
- We will not give you a refund for holiday weeks, nor will we add the weeks that you take as holiday on to the end of your course. It is your decision to take a holiday and we will hold your space at the school for you.
22. If your course lasts for less than 12 weeks, you are not permitted to take holidays. Any days that you take off will be marked as unauthorised absences.
23. The school is closed on public holidays and for two weeks at Christmas. Please see our current holiday dates for details.
Your level of English
24. It is your responsibility to check the level of English you need for the course you wish to take (please see our website or contact us for information). If you are uncertain about your level, please contact the school and we will be happy to advise you. If you provide false information regarding your language level before your course starts, you must take full responsibility. This includes receiving help from others when taking our placement test beforehand or at the school. You will be tested on arrival no matter what.
25. If your level of English is unsuitable for the course you have booked, we reserve the right to move you to a more suitable class, or to refuse you admission to the school. If we move you to a more expensive course as a result, you will not have to pay the difference. If we move you to a cheaper course, you will not receive any refund.
26. If your level is too low to join a particular course, we may offer you a programme of Individual Tuition to compensate. As soon as a group course becomes available at your level, we will move you into the appropriate class.
27. Capital School reserves the right to change teachers, class times and/or combine classes if necessary or transfer a student from one class to another. We will do our best to minimise any disruption and make these changes as infrequently as possible.
28. Homestay accommodation is only available while you are taking a course in the school, including any time necessary to take an exam connected with your course. It is generally booked in multiples of whole weeks.
29. Homestay accommodation is booked from the day before your course starts to the day after it ends. If you want to arrive earlier, or leave later, we will try to arrange this at a rate of £23 per night (half board) and £25 per night (full board), but we may have to offer you an alternative.
30. If you have paid for accommodation but wish to cancel it, you may do so on the following conditions:
- more than 20 working days’ (Monday–Friday) notice before the course begins: no penalty
- notice is given 20 working days or less before the course begins: 2 weeks’ accommodation fees will be retained by the school
- once the course has started: 100% accommodation fees will be retained by the school
31. If you want to leave homestay accommodation while you are in the school, you must give 10 days’ notice or pay 2 weeks’ accommodation fees instead. If you leave homestay accommodation because you are unhappy there, we will not ask you to pay this as long as your decision to leave is reasonable. If you leave because your host family is unhappy with your behaviour and asks you to leave, we will not ask you to pay.
32. We recommend that you reserve accommodation for the first 4 weeks of your course if you are studying for more than 12 weeks, or the full duration of your course if you are staying for less than 12 weeks. If you book for 4 weeks and wish to extend, please give us at least 2 weeks’ notice. We cannot guarantee that the same host provider will be available if you wish to extend.
33. If you take a holiday break during a long course you may be able to remain in your homestay, but this is not guaranteed. If you wish to leave your homestay at this time, you must give us at least 1 week’s notice. We will try to arrange for you to return to the same accommodation, but we cannot guarantee this. Your host provider may be happy for you to leave your belongings in the house when you go on holiday. If so, you may be expected to pay 50% of the accommodation fees per week to retain your space.
34. You are liable to pay for any damage that you cause at your accommodation.
35. The school accommodation service acts as an agent in introducing you to your homestay host. The contract is between you and your host.
36. Capital School will arrange your airport transfer for you (if requested) based on the flight details that you send to us. Flight details must be received at least 5 working days before arrival. Transfers must be paid for in full before arrival. Transfer fees are per person.
37. If you have paid for an airport transfer and wish to cancel your transfer, you may do so on the following conditions:
- more than 20 working days’ (Monday–Friday) notice before the course begins: no penalty
- notice is given 20 working days or less before the course begins: 100% transfer fees.
38. If you would like to change your airport transfer details, you may do so on the following conditions:
- more than 5 working days’ notice before the original arrival date.
- If notice is given 5 working days or less, we reserve the right to cancel your airport transfer. No refund will be given in this situation.
39. Our driver will be waiting for you in the airport’s arrival terminal holding a Capital School sign with your name on it and you will be provided with his/her contact details before you leave your home country. If you cannot see our driver, please contact him/her or go to the airport information desk and ask them to put a call out for him/her.
40. If our driver is late due to unforeseen circumstances, you must wait in the airport terminal for him/her. Please call the emergency number, which is provided for you, if your driver is not there. We cannot be held responsible if the driver is late due to any ‘force majeure’ events.
41. Capital School reserves the right to pick up several students at the same time.
42. Students are advised not to book a course which would start at the end of a term or on a bank holiday. Please refer to our term dates for further information.
43. You are expected to attend all of your classes. If you are not in the class you will be marked as absent. Any absence should normally only be for illness, examinations or pre-arranged and approved holidays. It is your responsibility to inform the school of illness or any other reasons for absence and to provide proof of why you were absent.
44. All students are required to have at least an 80% rate of attendance every week. If your attendance falls below 80%, Capital School reserves the right to exclude you from the school. You will receive warnings if your attendance is a concern.
45. Students who do not attend for over 4 weeks (excluding certified illness or holidays) will be removed from the class register. No refunds will be given and no weeks will be added to your course in these circumstances.
46. We reserve the right to refuse you entrance to the class if you arrive more than 10 minutes late in the morning or afternoon and 5 minutes late after the break. You will be marked absent for the part of the class that you miss. It is your responsibility to catch up on any work that you miss.
47. We reserve the right to exclude you if you attend irregularly or behave unacceptably. In this case no refund will be given.
48. We try to run all advertised courses/levels, but we reserve the right to cancel courses when this is unavoidable. In this case we will always offer you an alternative.
49. If you have come to us through an agent, their Terms of Contract may apply to you. We reserve the right to apply our own Terms & Conditions as well.
50. In order to fulfil our obligations to you and, in some cases, to the British authorities, it is necessary for us to see and copy your passport (and visa if appropriate), to have contact details for you in Cardiff (including a mobile phone number if you have one), and to have details of your emergency contact in your own country. You therefore agree to provide these and tell us if they change during your stay.
51. We reserve the right to hold our courses at either Capital School or at a suitable offsite location, irrespective of the published location. The maximum class size is 12 students on our general and examination courses and 16 on the junior summer programme but can, with arrangement and agreement with the group leader, exceed this with closed groups.
Course Specific Terms and Conditions
52. PM15 courses run at A2, B1, B1+ and B2 levels only. If student numbers are insufficient for the school to open PM15 classes at any level, we reserve the right to change your class timetable to the GE16 morning class timetable. If this happens, we will not make any additional charge for the course type. We will not accept a change to the time for the PM15 course as reason for cancelling the course although you will be able to postpone your start date if you are unable to study in the morning.
53 a. Online timetabled classes run at A2, B1, B1+ and B2 and IELTS 5.0 to 6.0 levels only. If student numbers are insufficient for an online class to run at any level, we reserve the right to change your class to a 1 to 1 lesson. If this happens, we will amend the number of hours of credit to reflect the higher cost and individualized nature of 1 to 1 lessons. Alternatively, you may postpone your online class until we have sufficient numbers.
53 b. We will advise you regarding the technical requirements to study online and help you to test your equipment on request. However, you are responsible for ensuring that you are ready to study online and technical difficulties on your side will not make the lesson eligible for a refund or credit. If we experience unavoidable technical difficulties we will reschedule the lesson at a mutually convenient time and at no additional cost to you.
54. Capital School of English stores students’ personal data both electronically and on paper. Relevant personal information will be shared with third parties such as homestay providers, transport providers and UK Visas & Immigration (UKVI).
55. All personal information given to Capital School of English is in line with our data protection policy.
56. If a situation arises that has not been covered by these Terms, we reserve the right to take any fair and reasonable action that we think appropriate.